Carlton takes action against podcaster who said he would 'punch the f*** out of' female rivals

Select Language

English

Down Icon

Select Country

America

Down Icon

Carlton takes action against podcaster who said he would 'punch the f*** out of' female rivals

Carlton takes action against podcaster who said he would 'punch the f*** out of' female rivals

Published: | Updated:

Carlton has cancelled the membership of a controversial podcaster after he joked he would 'punch the f*** out of' a female-led supporter group during a livestream that sparked widespread outrage across the AFL community.

The Blues confirmed on Friday that unofficial fan podcast host Rocco Stagnitti would have his membership suspended until at least the end of 2026 following comments directed at Carlton supporter creators The Besties.

The incident erupted after a clip from The Jumper Punch podcast circulated online earlier this week.

During a discussion about a hypothetical charity boxing event involving Carlton fan creators, Stagnitti said: 'I'd punch the f*** out of The Besties.'

The remark was followed by laughter from others on the panel, while one host added: 'There you go, Respects Round mate right there, Respects Round mate.'

The timing proved especially damaging given Carlton is preparing for its annual Carlton Respects Round, an initiative focused on gender equality and preventing violence against women.

Stagnitti, pictured, later released an apology video after the remark triggered widespread backlash online, with footy fans describing it as 'horrendous' and 'abhorrent'

Besties founder Tori Saros appeared in a video shared by the group condemning Stagnitti and his co-hosts after they laughed at the comment during The Jumper Punch podcast

The Besties, a female-run Carlton fan page with a large social media following, publicly condemned the comments.

Co-founder Tori Saros said the clip reflected ongoing issues faced by women involved in football media and fan communities.

'It's disgusting but this is just one example of what we deal with as female creators and what we are sure others experience, too,' Saros told ABC Sport.

'We don't mind if you don't like us. We don't mind if you don't like our content. We understand it isn't for everyone.

'I can't believe I have to say it, but if you have nothing nice to say, learn to say nothing at all.'

Carlton moved quickly after the backlash intensified online, launching an investigation before deciding to revoke Stagnitti's membership. The club also confirmed the individuals involved had been offered access to respect education programs.

In a statement, Carlton strongly condemned the segment.

'The segment was abhorrent and in no way reflective of the values of the Carlton Football Club or the wider Carlton community,' the club said.

Carlton has now revoked the membership of unofficial fan podcast host Rocco Stagnitti

'Football should be a place for everyone to enjoy a sense of community and belonging.

'Violence against women is never acceptable.'

The fallout prompted strong reactions from across the football world, including Carlton supporters, journalists and women working in sport media.

Sports journalist Marnie Vinall described the behaviour as 'disgusting abhorrent behaviour', while basketball broadcaster Kelsey Browne labelled the comments 'vile'.

Facing mounting criticism, Stagnitti later issued a public apology on Instagram.

'I did not make this comment with any intention of wanting to really punch anyone,' he said.

'Although my intentions were not malicious, I completely acknowledge that what I said promoted the wrong message and made many feel uncomfortable.

'This is a position I would never want to put anyone in, but more importantly women. For that, I am sorry and I apologise to everyone that was affected by my comments.'

Daily Mail

Daily Mail

Similar News

All News
Animated ArrowAnimated ArrowAnimated Arrow