Greece begs China for upgrades to major tourist port as situation becomes 'unbearabable'

Greece’s largest port, which handles some 20 million passengers every year and used by thousands of cars and passengers every day, is in desparate need of an upgrade. The country has urged the Piraeus Port’s manager, Chinese shipping giant COSCO Shipping, to upgrade the passenger facilities and services and improve the quality of life in the city.
Piraeus Port stands as the main port of Athens and one of the busiest in Europe, acting as a gateway to much of the country’s popular eastern islands, including Santorini, Mykonos and Crete. Currently, the huge port has 12 gates from which ferries can depart and it takes an hour to walk from one side to the other. However, even this is now not enough and the situation has become "unbearable", according ministers.
Greek Maritime Minister Vasilis Kikilias emphasised the urgent need for the Chinese company to invest in the port’s infrastructure "without delay" during a meeting with the Chinese Ambassador to Greece, Fang Qiu, earlier this week.
"It is critical that the Chinese side moves fast with much-needed investments,” Kikilias said, according to The Greek Reporter. "[These investments] can happen fast, at a low cost, and can have a major impact on travelers, as well as on the local community of Piraeus."
Among the infrastructures said to be in dire need of an upgrade are water supply systems, Wi-Fi connectivity, enhanced security systems, better route information services and the construction of additional passenger terminals and shelters.
"At the height of the summer season, when thousands of cars and passengers use the port every day, the situation is unbearable," ministry sources said.
According to reports, since the Chinese company acquired a majority stake in Piraeus Port Authority, which operates the port, in 2016, the company has done very little to improve the port’s passenger side. At the same time, COSCO Shipping increased its ownership stake to 67% by 2021. Piraeus has become a vital transshipment hub in the Mediterranean under its management.
On Monday (March 31), the Chinese shipping company announced record-high revenues and profits for last year. The Piraeus Port Authority S.A. (PPA), which operates the port, announced in a press release that total revenue reached 230.9 million euros (£176 million), a 5% increase from 2023.
These results were a record high in the company’s history, marking the fourth consecutive year of improved financial performance.
Despite this success, however, critics worry about foreign control over critical infrastructure, fearing potential geopolitical influence or vulnerabilities.
Across the pond, US officials have expressed concerns about COSCO’s control over the Piraeus port as part of broader worries about Chinese investments in strategic infrastructure across Europe.
Washington has warned that Beijing could use state-owned companies to expand its geopolitical influence, potentially compromising NATO and EU security interests. In January, the US Department of Defense blaclisted COSCO Shipping over alleged links to the Chinese military.
Daily Express